Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Art

I recently received a piece of art that hung over my Grandmother's (and Grandfather's) couch since as long as I can remember.  My grandmother moved out of her house several years ago and my mom acquired the piece because as many of us do, she has a hard time getting rid of items with sentimental feeling attached and possibly practical use.  So my mom asked me if I wanted it, which I did - for the frame and Mom was okay with me switching up the picture.  Even a frame this size would cost $20-$30 at our local thrift store.
So, I perused Pinterest A LOT looking for the perfect art to fill this frame.  I really can't paint birds very well, which is what I would have like to fill the space with, so I instead choice a bright and lively piece.  If you google search or Pinterest search DIY art, you are sure to find many versions of the Scrapbook Flower art, but I guess that's because its popularity is enforced by how doable it is for anyone and how nice the result is (and maybe how we all hoard art supplies, like scrapbook paper -- just me?).
Here is my version:  (and I still get to see the frame that I remember in my Grandmother's house).
Here's the original:
This is actually a famous painting "Summer Landscape" by Fritz Muller Landeck of Munchen.  I learned something in the process.  He made a lot of landscape pictures - usually much brighter than this one.  Of course, the one I had was a print that had badly darkened and browned with time.  So, no value lost!  

3 comments:

  1. Your post today reminded me of a very old "painting" I have hanging in my dining room. My grandfather gifted it to my grandmother in 1921. It has a very similar frame, with a lady sitting at the piano (or organ) with another lady standing next to it. Looks like it came straight out of Gone With the Wind!

    Love the print you put inside your frame - so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a picture of a mirrored
    Peacock that grandma Sensel used to have hanging. I think in the living room or her bedroom. This is such a great idea that I am going to take another look at that peacock!!!!

    ReplyDelete