Tuesday, October 21, 2014

ABS October Monthly Challenge

I've frequently looked at and ogled the Art Bead Scene blog - look at all those pretty handmade beads and the talent of the artists on there!  Pretty awesome!  And last month I really liked the monthly challenge inspiration but ran out of time to make any jewelry related to it - too many home improvement projects going on!  So I decided before the month started that I would do this month's challenge.   And boy, what a challenge it is.
This color palette is very different.  I like bright but wouldn't normally pick this choice of colors.  Here's the inspiration art:



**image is from the Art Bead Scene blog.  Read about the artist and challenge here:  http://artbeadscene.blogspot.com/2014/10/october-monthly-challenge.html



But I did have to say that there was a suggestion to use a colored gemstone like purple turquoise in making the jewelry. --And I happened to have some kind of costly purple turquoise that has been sitting in my collection for awhile, so I thought it would be a good use of it.  I fiddled around with all sorts of combinations and first didn't even notice the blue tree in it - somehow my mind was just fixated on all the other color!!!  And finally settled on this. 

A mix of orangish gemstones, some beautiful purple turquoise and amazing handmade beads.  They are all hand-knotted on navy blue nylon cord.  I wanted the front lampwork disc to be seen from the side so I added an extra nylon cord for the front beads and ended it around the focal area. 
The handmade beads are:
** orangey-yellow chicklet bead from SueBeads
**blue lampwork spacers from Kimberly's Corner (https://www.etsy.com/shop/KimberlysCorner).  She always sells at our local Intergalactic Bead Show and makes some amazing beads!
**Elaine Ray navy blue teardrop beads.
 I'm thinking about redoing this with another more magenta - purple beads.  The turquoise ended up looking kind of dark and the necklace seems a little overbearing dark with all the navy beads too.   Hmmmm.... I may have to think about this. 
And if I thought this color challenge a little off, a little different for fall well, as I was waiting outside for my son to get off the bus, I happened to notice the beautiful mums in my neighbor's yard. 
These colors together really reminded me of this challenge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment